Monday, May 26, 2014

Together, Not Broken = Ohana

Ohana

Yup, you remember from Disney's Lilo and Stitch?
That's what started it.
Now our family has adopted it.




I've acquired a bumper sticker for my car, much like this.
Mine has five little turtles to represent my five kiddoes.
My family.
I will display it proudly!




I've also purchased a fun piece to hang in our kitchen, 
where we will see it every day.
I found this on Etsy.  (Gosh I love that site.)
Mine is in all red and displayed in a bright red frame.





I'm not typically a fan of Disney, 
(no offense Disney lovers)
but a friend who had been through a very similar situation with her family recommended me to watch it with my kids.
I loved it!

I'm not entirely sure what I would've thought about the movie aside from our circumstances.  It's odd, to be sure.
At first I found it unsettling to watch such an angry, destructive creature initiate such mayhem and violence in a cartoon flick.
Still, it was a time in my life when I was hungry for a positive message to share with my kids, and my children were old enough to handle such theatrical carelessness.
So we watched.




I still think some elements were overdone, 
but all-in-all, that particular movie holds a sweet place in my heart.

So does "Ohana".
Whereas its debatable as to the origins of the word itself,
I really can't say that I care.
We need it.




We need to remember what family is.
What family is worth.
That family is worth fighting for.

It reminds me of the Love is passage in Scripture:




So I say we're not a "broken family".
We're Ohana.
We're together.



No comments:

Post a Comment