Saturday, May 24, 2014

Instructions For a Broken Heart


     I ran across Happily Ever After by Kristin Armstrong while searching on Amazon to see if there was a devotional written for divorced women.  What do ya know!  There is, and it's very good!  I haven't been so touched since Streams In the Desert by Mrs. Chas E Cowman.  

     If you're reading this, you may have experienced divorce.  But gosh, I sure hope not!  It's the most awful thing I've ever lived through.  It requires healing on a magnanimous scale.  It's a wonder so many are walking around having been through this.  No wonder our culture is hurting.  Behavior like this is fundamentally destructive; to one another, to our families, to our children, to ourselves, and to our legacy.  I'm an anti-divorce divorcee.  



   
       I find it healing to share these little bits of wisdom because they're just the sort of thing to which I've needed and responded.  In our situation, you don't avoid any little step that could help you heal.  I sincerely hope that you will be blessed by reading.  May we be healed properly and fully, friends!



  [The Lord] heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
~ Psalm 143:3

     "Gather up as many pieces of your broken heart as you can find, and take them to the altar.  Place them there, at the foot of the cross.  Bow and walk away.  Resist the temptation to go back and collect the debris and try to place the misshapen fragments back together.  Chances are, you’ll miss a piece, bleed to death while you try, or attempt to force pieces that didn’t fit that way to begin with.


"torn"  2013  During my divorce.


     "Psalm 147 promises that the Lord will bind our wounds.  Imagine Him, tenderly assessing the damage and compassionately wrapping your injuries.  He experienced pain;  He knows the depth of agony.  He alone has the power to remedy your situation, and He promises to heal your broken heart.



     "I like to imagine His holy hands, radiant and glowing with the full power of creation.  I picture those warm hands surrounding my heart, enclosing it completely.  I like to think about how He remains in that position, guarding my heart until it is healed properly and fully.  He protects me from injury until He declares me ready to love again."


~ “Happily Ever After” by Kristin Armstrong



No comments:

Post a Comment